Watchdog to Settle Your Income Tax Grievances

This time there is an independent Watchdog whom you can approach for seeking effective resolution of your income tax grievances and even obtain a token compensation of Rs.1000 for the loss suffered by you. The reason behind this step is the delay in getting your refund, rectification or appeal effect order in time or you are irritated by the lack of transparency in identifying your case for scrutiny or you are upset over the harassment, rude behavior or non-adherence of the prescribed working hours by any Income Tax Officials. Therefore, you need not feel helpless or take it down lying low as there is an independent Watchdog for all these scenarios. 

The complaint with the ombudsman can be filed if:-

  • Such authority rejects the complaint or 
  • The complaint does not receive any reply within one month or 
  • The complaint is not satisfied with the reply given to him by such authority.

The complainant must file the complaint within one year after:- 

  • He/she has received a reply from the department to his/her representation. 
  • And, in case, there is no reply received from the department, not later than 13 months after the representation to the income tax authority.

The complaint may be made in writing or through electronic means to the ombudsman against the Income Tax Official.

Nature of Complaints:

Complaints relating to following issues shall be received and considered by the ombudsman:-

  • If there is a delay in the issue of refunds;
  • If envelopes are sent without refund vouchers;
  • If there is non-adherence to the principle of ‘First Come First Served’ in sending refunds;
  • If there is non-acknowledgment of letters or documents sent to the department;
  • If there is non-up-dating of demand and other registers leading to harassment of taxpayers;
  • If there is a lack of transparency in identifying cases for scrutiny and non-communication of reasons for selecting the case for scrutiny;
  • If there is a delay in disposing of cases of interest waiver;
  • If there is a delay in the disposal of rectification applications;
  • If there is a delay in giving effect to the appellate orders;
  • If there is a delay in the release of seized books of accounts and assets;
  • If there is a delay in allotment of PAN;
  • If there is non-credit of tax paid, including tax deducted at source;
  • If there is non-adherence to prescribed working hours by Income Tax Officials;
  • If there is unwarranted rude behavior of Income Tax Officials with taxpayers;
  • If there is any other matter relating to a violation of the administrative instructions and circulars issued by the CBDT in relation to Income Tax administration.

Leave a Reply